Friday, March 16, 2012

HI. I'm back.

I thought I had better get my act together and do a post in case any of you wondered what has happened to me. I have been 'proper poorly' with a nasty bug that the doctor called flu, but it was more like sinusitis with a fierce head ache and earache. It is rarely that I give in and go to bed, but I did spend around four days either in bed, or in my recliner chair. Chris had it first, and two days later it got to me. Though we had some different symptoms, it was basically the same bug, and from reading facebook etc, it sounds as though many friends in UK have had something similar too. It left both of us with a hacking cough, but although I am still a bit wooly-headed, we are both much better than we were, so it is time to get back into the swing of things. I wouldn't recommend it as a way of losing weight, but I didn't really eat anything for five days, and I shed three kilos which was good, but sadly it will probably go straight back on now I am eating again.

Anyway here are a few little snippets of life in Los Gallardos. If any of you also follow my craft blog, you will already know that I have been waiting for a new piece of jewellery. There is an English man near here who used to be a goldsmith, but he took early retirement for health reasons, and he now keeps busy doing jewellery repairs for people. He also buys silver and gold and makes some pieces for sale, so I gave him a few small repair jobs. I also asked him whether he could make me a ring and he did. Firstly he mended a lovely gold bracelet on Chris' watch, and also the catch on mum's gold chain which had worn right through. Then we gave him a ring of Chris' that he never wears as I replaced it several years back with one he preferred. And when we were in Thailand, Chris bought me a Thai sapphire surrounded with tiny diamonds. It was intended as a pendant and it was very beautiful, but it was also quite tiny and because I rarely wear high-neck plain jumpers etc, it tended to get lost and I wasn't wearing it. So we asked Michael to make it into a ring, keeping it's original setting, and using the gold from Chris' ring, and here is what he made for me. Isn't it lovely?! I am so pleased with it. It sparkles like anything, and the photo doesn't really do it justice. There were no materials to pay for and he only charged me a very modest fee for labour, and now it will get worn instead of hiding in my box. He also used two tiny diamond chips from Chris's ring to repair my cross, which has had the stones missing for several years now, so all in all it was a very good transaction.

Despite us neglecting it for a couple of weeks, our garden has suddenly sprung into life. The mimosa is in full bloom. That won't help my cough any, but it looks beautiful! The jasmine on the front wall is amazing. You can't put a pin between the flowers. It is a really unusual one. It starts with dark pink buds that open into very pale pink flowers.
A couple of evenings ago the front door bell rang - quite unusual as we don't get many callers - and two young men were there. They nearly turned away when they realised I was English but I spoke to them in my hesitant Spanish and one explained that every year he looks at our jasmine and admires it. He wanted to ask if he could take a cutting, so Chris found a torch and he sliced off a couple of stems. I hope they grow for him. I told him it was very easy to grow! Then in the last couple of days we have seen the first of the new blossom on the orange trees. All three of these have a strong perfume and the air is full of them, but usually the jasmine wins.

Today I had to go into Turre and it was market day so I picked up a few pretty osteospernum plants. I had one lovely yellow one that has flowered each year, but I had to dig it up when the fly-free area was built in the autumn, and I just rested it in a pot and forgot about it. So this spring it is long and leggy with only a few buds on it. But I've planted it at the back of a big pot where it can lean on the wall for support, and in front of it I put my three new plants. They like the sun and the flowers 'go to sleep' when it is shady, so we have put the pot on the back porch where it will be in the sun all morning. Hopefully I will remember to water it there and it will give us some nice colour for several months.

I went to Turre to take Arwen to the vet. She was again covered in matted fur which she absolutely refuses to allow me to brush. She gets really wild and won't let me near her with a brush or scissors in my hands. It is a shame because she is so lovely the rest of the time, and very beautiful. Baggins fur is the same. The minute it starts to grow it knots, really close to the skin, and before long it is thick mat that even they can't get rid of for themselves. But at least Baggins allow me to drag a comb through his most nights. I end up pulling the knots out by the roots and he grumbles and growls at me, but he does have a half decent coat as a result. Arwen had started biting at hers but it just hung off her in big chunks which occasionally I managed to snip bits off, but she was uncomfortable and I decided the only thing was to have her shaved under anaesthetic like we did last year. The poor vet had difficulty getting the injection through the mats but she managed and now we have a poor little naked baby again. She was still half asleep when we brought her home but she wouldn't rest and kept wobbling along behind me, so I laid her on a blanket outside by my chair. I covered her lightly as she felt cold, and also I thought she needed protection from the sun. She is more awake now, but she looks a bit pathetic. She had to have more shaved from her face and tail than last year, but she still has a brush and fur boots, so she is bit like a toy poodle again! I decided to keep her company so at teatime I went round to my hair-dresser and had mine cut off too (not shaved I hasten to add), and tomorrow I may get round to attacking Chris with the shears!!


In between the many hours I spend dozing last week, I read two books and finished the red and black striped jumper I was making for Ella. Here is dad modelling it, and as it fits him, there is probably room for both Ella and Jonathan in it together! But it is posted now so I await the verdict!

Now I am back on my feet I have to do some serious housework as Jean is arriving next Wednesday for the week, and everything is looking very neglected. Hopefully we will manage to do something together for me to write my next post about.

2 comments:

Di said...

Aw Kate, you do look poorly there chick. Hope each day and the Spanish sunshine soon brings you back to your bouncy self. Love and hugs, Di xx

Mary said...

Oh Kate, can I bring you some tea? I should have asked last week when you were under the weather. I'm glad you are feeling better. Love your post, I feel like I'm visiting with you. This may not make you feel better, we in California have had the same. My DH came down with it first, then he shared with me.. I think our crazy weather is keeping all the bugs alive. I think the world is sharing the virus. Again, thanks for sharing your life. See you again soon and I'm sure you will be fit as a fiddle.